Back to the Main Page
Timeline > 1964½-1970 Mustangs|
1964½ - 1970 Mustangs
Key Moments in Mustang History (1964½-1970)
• April 17, 1964 - Mustang debuts. Over the weekend, over 22,000 Mustangs are ordered. Showrooms are bombarded with Mustang mania.
• January, 1965 - First Shelby Mustang is revealed to the public.
• 1966 - Marks the last year for the original fastback. In the following year, the roof extends all the way to the rear.
• 1967 - First minor design change to the Ford Mustang takes place.
• 1968 - Steve McQueen stars as Detective Frank Bullitt sporting a 1968 GT390, boosting the popularity of the car with the unforgettable San Francisco chase scene.
• 1969 - As the muscle car era reaches its pinnacle, the Mustang is offered in two new high powered models - the Mach 1 and the Boss Mustang.